On why I'm hoping to become a total bitch

3.28.2008

In a good way.

I recently went to the release party for Bitch Magazine, a publication that seeks to reclaim this controversial word. From their website:

"The writer Rebecca West, back in the day, said, 'People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.' We'd argue that the word "bitch" is usually deployed for the same purpose. When it's being used as an insult, "bitch" is an epithet hurled at women who speak their minds, who have opinions and don't shy away from expressing them, and who don't sit by and smile uncomfortably if they're bothered or offended. If being an outspoken woman means being a bitch, we'll take that as a compliment, thanks."

I've applied to intern with them this Spring. Even if that doesn't work out, I plan on volunteering with them in some form.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Add to Mixx!

0 comments: